Child dental health contribute to overall health of child. Prevention of disease is mandatory in children because child cooperation for dental treatment is difficult. Non-surgical caries treatment and Atraumatic Restorative Technique (ART) are pain-free techniques used in children for successful treatment in uncooperative child. Pediatric dentists provide comprehensive oral health care that includes the following:
- Regular dental checkup: Early diagnosis and risk assessment for caries in mother and child
- Oral hygiene: like brushing, cleaning of teeth with tooth paste.
- Fluoride Application: Floride varnish application after every 4 months to prevent disease. Silver Diamine Fluoride is used as nonrestorative caries treatment in children where filling cannot be performed due to uncooperative behavior. Silver Diamine Application after every 4 to 6 months arrests caries and control sensitivity.
- Nutrition and diet counselling and reducing frequency of sugar intake.
- Habit counseling like pacifier use and thumb sucking.
- Early assessment and treatment for jaw size, misaligned teeth.
- Restoration (filling) of tooth cavities or defects.
- Diagnosis and treatment of gum and pediatric periodontal disease.
- Management of dental trauma like fractured tooth, luxated tooth like avulsion.